University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

Music - Undergraduate

Future Students

The music program offers a multitude of programs to give you exactly what you are looking for out of your degree. You are welcome to choose from a major or minor in the BA Music for a more open music degree, or if you are searching for a degree geared towards professional musicianship we have the Bachelor of Music program with focuses in Composition, Performance, Music Theory & History or Integrated Studies which can draw from multiple area. World class facilities are available alongside a diverse and talented faculty with areas of specialization ranging from Voice to Trombone to Erhu and Euphonium.

View theory requirements for all music students

Current Students

Enrolment Services  - information on registration, transcripts, fees, exams and convocation all found in one site !

Bulletin Boards  - Our bulletin boards on the outside wall of CHD 100 are an important source of information about Music including: lesson times, class cancellations, rehearsal schedules and times, concert information, recital hour information & sign-up sheets, course information, upcoming events, junior and senior recital forms & info, student tickets deals, and student messages.

An important resource is the Music Undergraduate Society (MUS)! They offer a number of services for its members and for students as a whole. Most notably, they offer a lesson/clinic/gig referral service for their members. Visit the M.U.S office in CHF 129 or call them at 220-6631.

Music Undergraduate Handbook

Completing your Degree

Degree Requirements

Music offers a Bachelor of Music degree, a Bachelor of Arts in Music, a Minor in Music, and both a Concentration and a Minor in Sonic Arts.

Bachelor of Music (BMus)

The Bachelor of Music (BMus) degree is designed for students wishing to enter a professional career in music, either as performers, teachers, composers, theorists, historians or critics. The BMus provides the opportunity for students to major in Performance, Composition, Music History and Theory or Integrated Studies. In addition, there is a major in Music Education that is available in the context of a concurrent BMus/Bachelor of Education degree.

Common Core Program for BMus Majors:

  1. 42 units (7.0 full-course equivalents) from the following: Music 211, 213, 221, 223, 225, 255, 311, 313, 321, 323, 325, 334, 336 and one of Music Performance 201, 203, 205, 211, 213 or 215
  2. Pass piano proficiency exam or successfully complete Music 127
  3. Music 101, 102, 103 and 104

Majors are declared after these first-year requirements have been completed. Further information on the specific majors is available on the Music webpage.

Bachelor of Arts (Music)

The Bachelor of Arts (Music) degree is for the student who wishes to pursue a general liberal arts education with an emphasis on Music. It is an ideal degree for students who are interested in music, but may wish to pursue careers in law, medicine, arts administration, media studies, elementary education, digital arts, and so on. In addition to Music courses, BA (Music) students have the flexibility to take a large number of courses outside the Division of Music, allowing them to create degree plans that cater to their individual interests and needs.


Students must successfully complete a minimum of 48 units (8.0 full-course equivalents) and a maximum of 60 units (10.0 full-course equivalents) in the Field of Music while fulfilling the following requirements:

  1. Foundation Courses: Music 211, 213, 255, 334, 336, and 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) at the 300 level in Composition, Sonic Arts or Theory.
  2. Music Performance and Musicianship: 9 units (1.5 full-course equivalents) from Music 225, 325, and all courses labelled Music Performance.
  3. Upper-Level Courses: An additional 18 units (3.0 full-course equivalents) from the Field of Music at the 400 or 500 level including:
    1. A minimum of 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) in Music History and Literature, and
    2. A minimum of 3 units (0.5 full-course equivalent) in Composition, Sonic Arts or Theory.


6 units (1.0 full course equivalents) from School of Creative and Performing Arts 290 and 399.

Minor in Music

The Minor in Music is for students who are completing another undergraduate degree, but wish to pursue their love of Music. The program requires the completion of at least 5.0 full-course equivalents from the Field of Music, one of which must be an ensemble course.

Sonic Arts

Sonic Arts is for students with an interest in electroacoustic music, soundscape composition, computer music, multi-channel sound spatialization, interactive music involving instruments with computer, and sound design for video, film, media arts and stage production. The Concentration in Sonic Arts is open to all BMus and BA (Music), the Minor in Sonic Arts is for students who are enrolled in a Major that is not offered by the Division of Music. 

Course Registration

For detailed information on your Faculty of Arts degree (including transfer credit, adding a second major or a minor and more) please see the Arts Student Centre.

For help with registration issues, stop by the School of Creative and Performing Arts office (CHD 100) to visit the Undergraduate Program Administrator. Assistance with program requirements, practicums, independent studies, overload/pre-requisite waiver requests and general questions can be answered there. Or email


Music students are eligible for many nominated awards and scholarships varying in amount. All eligible students are automatically considered and no application is necessary. To be eligible for these awards, students must have a minimum GPA of 3.20 and have been registered in 4 full courses.

  • Airdrie Community Choir Scholarship for Emerging Conductors
  • Allan Sangster Prize
  • Anthony G Petti Memorial Scholarship
  • Calgary Pro Music Chamber Music Prize
  • David Fredrick Baker Memorial Prize
  • Division of Music Award
  • Division of Music Entrance Awards
  • Division of Music Prize
  • Don Wright Award in Practical Instrumental Arranging
  • Don Wright Award in Vocal & Choral Music
  • Don Wright Prizes
  • F.L. Fenwick Scholarships in Music
  • F.M. McLeod Prize
  • Helen and F.R. Graham Award
  • Hertz Trio Prize
  • John Norman Munro Memorial Award in Music
  • Kirby Memorial Scholarship
  • Millenium Prize for Russian Performing Arts
  • Myrtle Cochran Paget Memorial Award
  • Norman J. Kennedy Memorial Scholarship for Choral Performance
  • Norman J. Kennedy Memorial Scholarship for String Instruments
  • Polyna Savridi Memorial Entrance Scholarship
  • Polyna Savridi Memorial Undergraduate Scholarship
  • Sarah Engle Memorial Scholarship in Music
  • The Carr Prizes
  • U of C Alumni Association Scholarship
  • Vondis Miller Entrance Award in Music
  • Yvonne Johnston Award

For more information on these and other general University awards and scholarship opportunities, please go to Student Finance.

International Students

Music welcomes applications from qualified students outside of Canada. Applicants whose first language is not English must submit the results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam or another exam as listed on the  English Language Proficiency  page. Additionally, international students in Music are eligible for partial visa differential funding. For more information please visit the following links:


Q- How do I get permission for a course that requires consent of the division? 
A- Email with your name, ID# and reason for wanting to take the course and the Undergraduate Coordinator will work with the Division Chair to approve and enter permission.

Q- Can I add a music minor? How do I do it? 
A- Yes you can add a minor at any time in your program. You can add a minor in your student center as a “Change of Program” between September and April, during the Spring and Summer access is closed off. Courses that you take before declaring it that are applicable can be applied after the fact.

Q- Where can I find out more information about ensembles? 
A- We have callboards in the hallways outside of CHD 100, all opportunities are posted there!

Q- Can I overload into the class I want?  
A- Overloads are possible, but the instructor and Division Chair must approve. Overloads cannot be processed if the enrollment capacity is the same as the physical room capacity. This is a central University policy due to Fire code regulations.

Q- What if a course I need for graduation is not offered? 
A- Often courses are not offered in an academic year due to instructor availability or a budget, if the course if not available during the completion of your degree, the Undergraduate Administrator can work with you to find a replacement credit.

Q- If a course is full, can I attend anyways? 
A- No, if a course is full and at capacity, you cannot attend. This is a safety precaution and also there is no guarantee to give you credit for the work you have completed unless you are registered.