University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

Drama - Undergraduate

Future Students

The drama program provides students a wealth of opportunity to gain hands on experience with plentiful opportunity for both academic and practical learning. With 10 faculty members and 5 full-time professional staff, you are fully supported through your program in one of the three degree routes: major in Drama, minor in Drama or concurrent majors in Drama and Education. Drama maintains a full production schedule through the skilled technical and teaching contributions of 5 full-time professional staff. Facilities include access to 3 theatre spaces, full costume, properties and scene shops and the Integrated Arts Media Lab. The programs offer many opportunities to be actively involved whether you are interested in roles in acting, technical/design, playwriting or theatre studies.

Current Students

Enrolment Services - information on registration, transcripts, fees, exams and convocation all found in one site!

Performance Opportunities - Our callboards found outside of CHD 100 and CHE 004 list all of our opportunities for acting, and technical involvement in class work, our Mainstage season, ND Theatre season, graduate student work, and local community/professional theatre. Check it regularly for what is going on around Drama!

An important resource is the Drama Undergraduate Society (DUS) - Workshops! Advocates! Social Space! Community. Join the DUS and become part of the exciting society that helps you get the most out of your Drama degree.

ND Theatre exists solely to create opportunities for University of Calgary emerging artists. By fusing the traditional with new approaches, techniques and forms, we seek to cultivate artists that will stake their claim in the theatre industry confidently and boldly. Check out their Facebook page.

Drama Undergraduate Handbook

Completing your Degree

Degree Requirements

BFA Drama

  1. Core Courses: 33 units (5.5 full-course equivalents) from Drama 209, 210, 223, 225, 242, 243, 345, 346, 347, 391 and 393.
  2. Drama Option: 36 units (6.0 full-course equivalents) from the Field of Drama at the 300 level or above.


  1. SCPA Courses: 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalents) from School of Creative and Performing Arts 290 and 399.
  2. 3 units (0.5 full-course equivalent) in English
  3. 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) selected from courses in Art, Art History, Dance, Film, Fine Arts, Music, School of Creative and Performing Arts (SCPA) and/or courses at the 300 level or above in Drama.

Concurrent BFA/BEd Program

Students must successfully complete the following program of study, which includes from 10.0 to 13.0 in the Field of Drama:

Drama Courses: 60 units (10.0 full-course equivalents) including:


Refer to 4.3 Five-Year BEd (Concurrent) Program in the Werklund School of Education section of the Calendar.

Minor in Drama

The Minor in Drama is regulated by the section of the Faculty of Arts Graduation Requirements entitled 3.4.4. Minor Fields.

Students must successfully complete at least 5.0 and not more than 6.0 full-course equivalents from the Field of Drama with at least 3.0 full-course equivalents at the 300 level or above.

Course Registration

For information on what your first year should look like and what courses you need to set yourself up for success see the  First Year Student Registration Guide .

For detailed information on your Faculty of Arts degree (including applying transfer credit, adding a second major or a minor and more) please see the Arts Student Centre.

For help with registration issues stop by the School of Creative and Performing Arts office (CHD 100) to visit the Undergraduate Program Administrator. Assistance with program requirements, practicums, independent studies, overload/pre-requisite waiver requests and general questions can be answered there. Or email .


Drama students are eligible for many nominated awards and scholarships varying in amount from $300.00-$2,000.00 . These awards are nominated by the Faculty members in the division and are assessed based on different academic/extra-curricular factors.

For more information on these and other general University awards and scholarship opportunities, please go to Student Finance .

  • IATSE (Local 212) Award in Design/Technical Theatre
  • Noel Coward Memorial Award
  • Victor Mitchell Award
  • The Shirley M White Scholarship
  • Elizabeth Stirling Haynes Scholarship
  • Dr. Leona Flegal Paterson Prize in Drama
  • Marilyn Perkins Awards in Music, Art & Drama
  • Beth Israel Players Scholarship Fund
  • Big Rock Brewery Scholarship
  • John PL Roberts Awards

International Students

Drama welcomes applications from qualified students outside of Canada. Applicants whose first language is not English must submit the results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam or another exam as listed on the  English Language Proficiency  page. Additionally, international students in the Division of Drama are eligible for partial visa differential funding. For more information please visit the following links:


Q- How do I get permission for a course that requires consent of the department? 
A- Email with your name, ID# and reason for wanting to take the course and the Undergraduate Program Administrator will work with the Division Chair to approve and enter permission.

Q- Can I add a drama minor? How do I do it? 
A- Yes you can add a minor at any time in your program. You can add a minor in your student center as a “Change of Program” between September and April, during the Spring and Summer access is closed off. You may use previously completed Drama credits and apply them to your minor.

Q- Where can I find out more information about auditioning for and viewing performances? 
A- We have two callboards in the hallways outside of CHD 100 and CHE 004, all opportunities are posted there!

Q- Can I get credit for doing work in a production? 
A- Yes! Performance Practicums are available to apply for to gain academic credit for acting/technical/production work on a show. See the CHD 100 bulletin board for the application form.

Q- Can I overload into a full class that I want to take? 
A- Overloads are possible, but the instructor and Division Chair must approve. Overloads cannot be processed if the enrollment capacity is the same as the physical room capacity. This is a central University policy due to Fire code regulations.

Q- What if a course I need for graduation is not offered? 
A- Often courses are not offered in an academic year due to instructor availability or a budget, if the course if not available during the completion of your degree, the Undergraduate Administrator can work with you to find a replacement credit.

Q- If a course is full, can I attend anyways? 
A- No, if a course is full and at capacity, you cannot attend. This is a safety precaution and also there is no guarantee to give you credit for the work you have completed unless you are registered.